National Novel Writing Month: Creating The Next Generation of Writers

“It is a month-long process where you set a word goal and you try to write a book.”

Fatima Gabir

Abigail Williams (11) and Jacob Hays (12)

National Novel Writing Month (NanoWriMo) took Pinnacle by storm in November as Pinnacle students quickly became real authors. A glance into their classroom and a scene of busy students fiercely typing against their keyboards as novel writing took place. If all goes well, this hard work and dedication results in incredible novels.

This specific program challenges individuals to write a 50,000 word-novel in just thirty days. It inspires people from all over the world to create their own novels in a timely manner. Pinnacle students in the Creative Writing class made their own mark on this challenge. Junior Abigail Williams worked hard to make sure she stayed on track with the daily word count goals. She finished her novel and even made sure to complete all her daily word-count goals.

“It is a month-long process where you set a word goal and you try to write a book. You know sometimes you don’t get there, but I did, which was so cool,” said Williams.

This event always challenges people to use their creativity to truly write to their heart’s content. They work completely free in this aspect, which results in many different types of stories. Students’ stories ranged from mystery to romance and everything in between. 

“I wrote more of a coming of age story and called it Danielle. It is about this girl who grows up on the East Coast,” shared Williams.

Senior Jacob Hays decided to write a detailed story about a brutal war between China and Taiwan. His favorite part? Coming up with unique, contrasting characters to add to his story.

“My story focuses on the soldiers and their struggle during this war. I had a lot of fun trying to piece together the plot,” Hays said.

NaNoWriMo requires certain word count goals for each student to keep them on track. Hays completed 40% of his goals. 

Sophomore Kayla Adams successfully completed all of her daily goals, ending with a fascinating story.

“When I had ideas, it was super easy to meet the goals. However, there were definitely some stressful days when trying to complete the word count,” Adams said.

Adams wrote a story about a husband who wakes up to find his wife missing. The husband goes on a journey to find the wife but learns more about his independence along the way.

Students loved the event and produced personal, creative stories that emphasize their hard work and dedication to writing. These students could be the face of the next generation of writers.